At the end of March 2012 I got an R72 filter initially to use with a roll of Ilford SFX but I discovered it’s just as effective on a digital camera.
I didn’t meter with the roll of SFX but ‘cheated’ by using my GF1 as a tester for each shot. A bit of a cop out but at £7 or more per roll I wasn’t planing on ruining it, but I nearly did anyway.
I was concerned that I may have under exposed the roll and stupidly pushed the film. This meant that each frame was veering towards black on the negative but fortunately not too black as not to have anything of worth.
Some of the scans had a really uneven yellow cast that looked quite nasty so I grey scaled those guys but on others the faded yellow/green tint looked very nice.
It just means I’ll need to expose for longer when printing and I do plan to do more darkroom printing in the next few months but it just won’t be at home.
The SFX film is sensitive to red light up to 740nm so I opted for a maximum of 720nm, I think it worked out OK but I’m very interested to see what this filter does to other films.
Development at 200 speed using ID11 stock is 10 minutes and 14 minutes pushed to 400. I should have stuck with the former but I think they are still usable negatives.
I did enjoy playing about with the R72 filter with the GF1 as I could shoot in colour. I did do a little post processing in Aperture by setting the white balance balance against the lightest part of the image. This had quite an interesting effect.
I’m pretty certain I’ll be attempting this with B&W and colour films very soon. I have my Zorki 4K loaded with Konica R100 slide film and I’ll shoot a couple of frames with the R72 filter if the sun pops out again this week.