After exposing and processing a roll of Ilford 127 film that expired in 1958 my hopes were higher than normal for the other roll of Ilford film I’d bought on ‘The Bay’. Ilford FP3, 64ASA.
I’D loaded this roll in the FED 3 a good few months ago and was the main reason I’ve now invested in black and white developing at home.
I’d read a post on APUG (and previously blogged about it) recommending ID11 as a decent developer that wouldn’t be too harsh for such an old roll of film.
The post also recommended using as little chemicals as possible as not to disturb the emulsion too much. So no stop bath, photo-flow etc. (which I don’t have anyway)
The negative, similar to the last really old film I developed, was much like thin paper in the hand. I actually struggled to get it onto the spindle unlike modern 35mm films.
I developed for 7 minutes 30 seconds in stock ID11 followed by a wash for a few minutes swapping out the water about 3 times and then used a rapid fixer at a 1+4 dilution for 5 minutes followed by another series of washes. All at 20º.
I’ve never seen a roll of film as curly as this. it was a complete pain-in-the-arse to load into the Epson 35mm holder for scanning.
Another strange thing was ghosting. A lot of these images appeared to be double exposures which is impossible with a FED 3. I can’t remember how I did that though I remember I did occasionally have a problem winding on the film.
The film finally got stuck and I simply couldn’t wind it on or rewind the film. When I came home I rewound the film out of the camera in a dark bag. I think this is when I had those problems (below).